Shoot-Down Hi-Tech Drone
Punjab police in joint operation with BSF shoot-down hi-tech drone loaded with 5kg heroin in Amritsar
— PUNJAB POLICE COMMITTED TO MAKE PUNJAB A DRUG-FREE STATE AS PER VISION OF CM BHAGWANT MANN
— IT IS SIXTH SUCH DRONE RECOVERED IN LESS THAN TWO MONTHS, SAYS DGP GAURAV YADAV
CHANDIGARH/AMRITSAR, January 22: The ongoing war against drugs launched on the directions of Chief Minister (CM) Bhagwant Mann received yet another major breakthrough after Punjab Police, in a joint operation with Border Security Force (BSF), have shot down a sophisticated hexacopter drone loaded with 5Kg Heroin during a search operation launched at area of Border Outpost (BOP) Kakkar on the intervening night of Saturday and Sunday.
Director General of Police (DGP) Punjab Gaurav Yadav said that this is the sixth drone recovered in less than two months.
He said that this hybrid 6-winged drone, worth Rs 10 lakhs, is assembled with parts manufactured in USA and China, and was equipped with hi-tech features including long-lasting battery backup and infrared-based night vision camera and GPS system.
DGP Gaurav Yadav said that after noticing the drone movement in Indo-Pak border on the intervening night of Saturday and Sunday, Police teams from Amritsar Rural district immediately shared the pin-pointed inputs with the BSF and jointly conducted an intensive search operation in the area of Village Kakkar, which is just 2kms away from the Indo-Pak border.
He said that the Police teams had fired at least 12 burst-fires from AK-47 to shoot-down the drone.
Sharing more details, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Amritsar Rural Swapan Sharma said that the Police have rounded-up two persons from the spot when they were trying to escape. Investigations are on to ascertain the identity of the Pak smugglers, who sent the consignment via drone, and also their Indian associates, who were to receive this air-dropped consignment of heroin, he added.
Meanwhile, a case FIR No. 12 Dated 22/1/2023 has been registered under sections 21, 23 and 28 of the NDPS Act and sections 10, 11 and 12 of the Aircraft Act at Police Station Lopoke in Amritsar Rural. .
BOX: SIX DRONES RECOVERED IN TWO MONTHS
- November 29, 2022: A hexacopter drone carrying six packets of heroin, weighing 6.68 kg, was recovered in the jurisdiction of Border Outpost (BOP) Harbhajan in Khemkaran, Tarn Taran
- November 30, 2022: A broken quadcopter drone was recovered from the area of village Van Tara Singh in Khalra, Tarn Taran
- December 2, 2022: A hexacopter drone carrying five packets of heroin, weighing 5.60 kg, was recovered from the Khemkaran area in Tarn Taran
- December 4, 2022: A quadcopter drone loaded with three packets of heroin, weighing 3.06Kg, was recovered from area of Border Outpost (BOP) Kalia in Tarn Taran
- December 25, 2022: A DJI series USA made Hi-tech drone, worth Rs 20 lakhs, recovered along with 10Kg heroin by the Amritsar Rural Police
- January 22, 2023: A hexacopter hi-tech drone carrying 5Kg heroin was recovered from area of BOP Kakkar in Amritsar Rural